So last night myself and a few friends schlepped out to Sayreville, New Jersey to see Saves the Day (me) and New Found Glory (them but me a tiny bit too I won't lie). What follows is an in depth, hard hitting, crack news report on what transpired. I haven't done this for a while, and I haven't graced you all with a new post in a while either. What better way to waste your time. Here it is, the show rundown:
1. Best shirt: Mine (Dinosaur jr) because everyone else was in plaid or flannel or some derivative of these designs and fabrics.
2. Girls? A fucking ton.
3. Girls over 15? Probably. But I couldn't really tell.
4. Single girls? No. It was almost as annoying as Valentines Day. Well there might have been a few single girls.
5. Did you talk to any you pathetic human being? Yes, one. It was a conversation that lasted about 12 seconds. It went something like this, and I'm paraphrasing: Girl, slightly cute but very drunk: "Hi you seem like a cool guy". Me, very confused: "I do?" . Girl then walks into a sea of bodies pushing each other in various ways, never to be heard from again.
6. Nice surprise: Fireworks playing a Kid Dynamite song.
7. Worst band I have ever seen live: Hellogoodbye. It was like my ears were being raped by a gorilla on steroids.
8. What the fuck moment: Stupid fucking kid in a Terror shirt practicing his tiger style kung fu while Saves the Day was playing...Freakish. Wrong show dbag.
9. Shut up: Chad from New Found Glory
10. Saves the Day: played the best fucking set of music I have ever heard them play, EVER. I won't try to list the set, but I will say that my voice is completely fucked. They played shit from Can't Slow Down. They played shit from Through Being Cool. They even played the acoustic ep. It was like the shitty albums never happened. In fact the whole show was like taking a time machine back to 1998, and then 2000. I am now kinda pumped to hear the new album.
11. I still hate: Chad from New Found Glory
12. New Found Glory: played the self titled record in its entirety. This is not a bad thing, but I will continue to hate them and wish them ill for as long as I live. Despite liking some of their songs. My reasons for this go back many years, and I will not get into it now.
Also (number 12 part 2): New Found Glory always made me think they were a Revelation records youth crew band trapped in a whiny pop punk band's body. Like if the Gorilla Biscuits were collectively castrated or something. However, it's probably more like everyone in the band really likes hardcore, but they really, really, really like money.
13. Venues: need to not let so many fucking people into shows. We were all nearly trampled to death by herds of plaid clad Luke Skywalker haircut kids.
14. Did I mention: How awesome Saves the Day were?
15. Well done: the guy who didn't kill the stupid Terror kid after being punched in the face.
16. Why the fuck: do kids mosh for pop punk bands? Like really. It was like instead of New Found Glory playing the self titled it was like fucking Madball was playing "Demonstrating My Style".
17. I'm sorry: I don't own skinny jeans.
18. Why can't: Saves the Day play "Through Being Cool" as a whole set? I mean how fucking awesome would that be?
19. Little Hayley-noun;adj.- when a girl dresses herself up to look like the little hussy from the band Paramore. They are often found at outdoor "punk" festivals, shows, high schools, and MTV. They usually are about 15 years of age and very, very stupid. Approach with caution.
20. Little Hayley count: 234. I didn't actually count but I'm sure I'm not far off. These little tramps come out in droves for this sort of thing. Even though none of them were alive when half the songs played by either headlining band were written. Well maybe they were alive, but they were like six years old tops.
In conclusion: Saves the Day played an amazing set, New Found Glory was tolerable because they played older songs, I still hate Chad Gilbert, and kids these days love their flannel and moshing inappropriately. $20 bucks well spent.