Wednesday, December 16, 2009

"I'm dumped she's a lesbian..."


I have been playing Weezer's "Pinkerton" album straight through for this entire day. I have not listened to anything else. I intend to continue this tomorrow as well. Why the "Pinkerton" album? My question to you is why the fuck not? It is a classic. Quite possibly the best album of the 90's. Yeah I know that's a bold statement. There are a lot of albums that were better. Of this I am sure. However, I don't care about those right now. I do not know every word to The Jesus Lizard's "Goat" album, despite the fact that maybe musically it's better. I do know every single fucking word of the "Pinkerton" album. This album is significant for a lot of reasons. One, it is Weezer's last good album. To me it's their only GREAT album. I know, I know the "Blue" album is good what the hell am I even saying? Fuck that, "Pinkerton" destroys it. There are no hit singles. No "Buddy Holly" or "The Sweater Song". That's one reason why it's so good. It is an album devoid of any real pop sensibility. It is way too weird for normal consumption. In fact, songs about Japanese girls and their letters and what they might wear to school pretty much nail the coffin shut on MTV air play. To me, that is why everything about this album is fucking great.

One huge reason, the songs themselves. Just a few honorable mentions. To go song by song would be kinda ridiculous. "Tired of Sex"? Yeah a nerd like Rivers Cuomo wrote a song with this title. But it's not even really about that. I won't get into it, but when he starts, I don't know yelling or yelping? It's frustration city and if you can't relate you aren't human. "Why Bother?"? If you listen to this song, really listen, and hate it afterwards I think I hate you. Then right after this, we hear "Across the Sea". This song is probably played at Rivers Cuomo's therapy sessions. I won't get into what it's about. I take from it what I want. And it's fucking brilliant. Every line. Next on the track list, "The Good Life". Yeah, I really don't wanna be an old man anymore. I'll skip to "Pink Triangle". It's about being in love with a lesbian. "Every one's a little queer. Why can't she be a little straight?". Fuckin brilliant? Yeah you are totally right. As we get to the end of the album, we get a little sadder, even more nerdy. Okay, so maybe I did mention most of the songs. Sue me. Weezer was never fucking better than they were right here. In fact they sucked tremendously right after and to this very day. Really, what the fuck is "Raditude"?

Sadly, as I sort of just mentioned, Rivers Cuomo would never make an album like this again. They would make a series of power pop albums that had a few great songs, but as a whole blew goats. There are a trillion reasons why this happened. I don't care to mention them here. All I know is "Pinkerton" is stupid good. There will never be another "Pinkerton". No band will top its lyrical brilliance, or anything else about the album. I don't fucking care what you think. You are wrong. I literally belted this whole album out 8 times in the last day and a half. I don't even know why I felt the urge to continuously listen to this album. The usual reason, i.e. I'm having what I call an "I hate girls" week, isn't even close to occurring. I think I really just want to keep listening to it. Maybe because Rivers Cuomo is insane and I want to hear the last great thing he did before he went bat shit crazy. Either way, listen to this fucking album right fucking now. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment